Tuesday 30 June 2009

Bus Driving around Cirencester

I had another bus driving lesson today, my third so far, this time in the biggest vehicle in the fleet, a Scania N113CRB (about 38 foot long).

After arriving at Cotswold Green HQ, I set off on an observation exercise with Mike, to do a school run. After putting on my new official Cotswold Green uniform polo shirt, we went and picked up the students from the school in Stroud, and went on a route through Minchinhampton and out to Tetbury, with Mike teaching me tips about driving on a school run. As soon as the last students left the bus, we stuck the "L" plates on, and set off again with me behind the wheel.

This bus was very different to the Dennis Darts I had driven on my previous lessons, it was longer, and much more powerful. We went into Cirencester and around the very narrow and winding one way system, and as I mounted the pavement twice, we went round again - this time I corrected my errors, and Mike almost looked pleased !

When we got to Stroud, we did the traditional trip around the one way system, and I managed to get round the tight corner, for the first time without running over George Holloway's toes !

I drove for about 2 1/2 hours this time, and when we got back to the depot, Mike got me to do a reverse into a gateway, and then get the bus into the right space in the yard. It was just gone 7pm so it was time to get across to Stroud, ready for the weekly St John meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment