Friday 6 March 2009

ICT Development Plans and an Exploding Toner Cartridge.

Enjoyed a bracing walk to work this morning, with hard frost on the ground, but nice warm sunshine.

As I walked up the stairs to the office, I get the first enquiry of the day; a teacher wanting to be able to watch a Youtube video in the classroom. (Youtube is filtered in the college, to stop the students accessing inappropriate content). After sorting this one out, I pop along to staff briefing for a cup of tea and a chat.

First couple of hours are fairly insignificant- usual list of students coming to the office for password resets and help with various things, while I am trying to work on the ICT Development Plan.

This is a document which I have spent a lot of time on, putting our aims and objectives for the next three years down on paper (15 pages at last count). I then have to present this to the Governors next Tuesday to try and secure funding- (which is when the ICT Development Plan might get re-written if there is no money available!).


Bit of excitement after break, I am called down to reception for First Aid to see a student who has sneaked out for a cigarette at break time, and now feels sick. I walk into the room to see a student with her head in bin vomiting, while the teacher tries to hold her hair out of the bin. After she has been sick, she immediately feels better. Note to students: At school during break time is not the best place to try your first cigarette!

Issue with an exploding toner cartridge came next- in one of the offices, a very upset admin lady stood covered in yellow toner, after she tried to change the cartridge in her printer. My technician busied himself cleaning up the mess and replacing the cartridge, and I fired off an email to the supplier expressing my disappointment at the quality of their product. Have to wait and see what comes of that.

This evening I went to do some work for a local coach company, who needed some programming work done on their phone system. After a couple of hours battling with an unfamiliar system, with limited information, I eventually got it sorted (and therefore paid). Hopefully I have secured some further work with the company next door as well, so not a bad evening all in all.

On the way home I picked up the 4x4 ambulance from its garage, ready for the motocross duty on Sunday, so I now have a big white landrover parked on the driveway, blocking my view from the window.


Thats it for today, my first day of updating the Blog. Hopefully I will have time to update again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment