Monday 9 March 2009

Power Cuts, Macs, and a Pink Mouse


This morning when I got to work I had an email from the supplier of the exploding toner cartridge (see previous posts). They have passed the complaint to their supplier, and are awaiting to see what compensation we will be getting- That should please the admin lady whose shoes were ruined.
.
After the first couple of jobs, I had a few minutes spare to do a favour for another admin lady, Arnie, who since she started at the school has wanted a pink mouse for her computer. (don't know why!) so I took an old mouse down to the DT department, spoke nicely to Nina the technician, who gave me a can of pink spraypaint - half an hour and a couple of coats later, we had a nice pink mouse, and a very happy Arnie.
.
As soon as I got back to the office, a teacher arrived with a student who had knocked his face against a cupboard. (It wasn't my turn on the first aid rota, but my office was next to the classroom where it happened). His cheek was swollen up, and he was in a bit of pain, so I gave him some ice, and got him to sit in student reception. After about 15 minutes the swelling had gone down, so he went back to class.
.
Rob, the art teacher, brought his Mac notebook up to the office next, as the Windows XP installation on the virtual machine software had stopped working. I hate Macs, and sorting this out took the next couple of hours and a lot of trial and error- after that, I like Macs even less!
.
During lunch time there was a power cut affecting the whole school, which only lasted less than a minute. As the servers are all on uninteruptable power supplies, there was no lasting impact, but a few people lost the work they were doing when their machines powered off. Quick tour of the school next checking that all network cabinets had come back up properly after the power cut- all was ok.
.
At the end of the day, I got home a bit late, to find my wife waiting by the door, ready to take my eldest son to swimming lessons. Luckily dinner had already been prepared, so I only had to put the potatoes on to cook when it was time.
.
Baths for all the kids tonight, then we sat down and relaxed in the lounge in front of the fire- Liz is watching Charmed on DVD, and I have been surfing on Facebook and playing online chess!

No comments:

Post a Comment